Every motorcycle rider knows the inherent danger in sharing the road with other unpredictable motorists. In a split second, even a minor crash can have devastating consequences.
If you or someone you love was recently involved in a motorcycle accident, you likely sustained serious injuries, have mounting medical bills, and feel overwhelmed and anxious.
We understand at the Law Offices of Naomi Ellis, PLLC, which is why we provide one-on-one compassionate representation to each client. If you are suffering after an accident, contact our office today to discuss your legal options.
Why Motorcycle Accidents Are Devastating
Unlike passengers in cars or trucks, motorcyclists lack the protection of a vehicle. Even with helmets and protective gear, a motorcyclist is significantly more exposed than an occupant in a car. Factors contributing to the severity of motorcycle accidents include:
- Direct exposure. The lack of structural protection means motorcyclists often absorb the full force of an impact.
- Less visibility. Given the small size of a motorcycle, riders can be easily overlooked, especially in a driver’s blind spots.
- Road hazards. What might be a minor inconvenience for a car, like a pothole or wet road, can pose significant threats for motorcyclists.
Understanding these differences is essential when presenting a personal injury claim. Don’t hire a general personal injury lawyer; retain an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Durham who understands the nuances involved with these claims.
Navigating the Claims Process with a Durham Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The physical and emotional toll of a motorcycle accident can be significant. As an injured victim, you might also face a myriad of legal and insurance hurdles. That is where the skills of a Durham motorcycle accident lawyer become indispensable. Here are a few ways we’ll assist you when you hire the Law Offices of Naomi Ellis, PLLC, to represent you:
- Evaluate and understand the intricacies of your case. Was it a hit-and-run? Was the other driver under the influence? We will assess the circumstances of your case to determine the best course of action.
- Gather and preserve evidence. From police reports to witness statements and medical evaluations, we will collect and preserve all necessary evidence that can help your case.
- Calculate your potential settlement value. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Durham can accurately value your claim, factoring in medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other considerations.
- Negotiate with the insurance companies. Insurance adjusters often try to minimize payouts and use your legal inexperience to their advantage. Instead of you trying to negotiate on your own behalf, we will do that for you.
- Represent you in court. Although the majority of motorcycle accident cases settle without going to court, it’s important to have an attorney that’s prepared for anything. If going to trial is in your best interests, we will advocate for you in court.
Every claim is different. We will develop a personalized legal strategy to protect your interests and help you pursue maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Durham
Identifying the root cause of the accident is crucial in building a solid case against all responsible parties. Some of the most common causes of North Carolina motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving: from texting while driving to adjusting the radio, distracted drivers pose a significant risk to motorcyclists.
- Driving under the influence: alcohol or drugs impair judgment, often leading to grave mistakes on the road.
- Reckless driving: speeding, abrupt lane changes, and not giving motorcyclists the necessary space can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Poor road conditions: loose gravel, wet surfaces, and unrepaired roads can be particularly hazardous for motorcycle riders.
It’s common for accidents to involve multiple factors, such as speeding on a poorly maintained road. We will investigate all potential causes, helping to identify all liable parties.
Potential Compensation in a Durham Motorcycle Accident
As a victim of a motorcycle accident in Durham, you might have the right to seek compensation for:
- Medical bills to date
- Future medical expenses
- Lost wages to date
- Future loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
You typically have only three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit for your injuries. While three years might sound like a long time, the deadline can creep up quickly. Hiring a Durham motorcycle accident lawyer will ensure you don’t inadvertently miss the statute of limitations among other associated deadlines.
Durham Motorcycle Accident Law Firm
After a motorcycle accident, your focus should be on your recovery, your family, and getting back to your everyday life. You shouldn’t have to worry about dealing with insurance companies or filing lawsuits. That’s what we’re here for. At the Law Offices of Naomi Ellis, PLLC, we are a boutique law firm dedicated to providing personalized, detailed attention to our clients’ cases. You are not just a number here. Contact us to schedule a compassionate, no-cost consultation.