The sheer size and weight of commercial trucks can mean catastrophic consequences for accident victims. If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident you likely feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. Recovering from severe injuries while missing work and staring at mounting medical bills can feel overwhelming and stressful.
That’s where we come in.
At the Law Offices of Naomi Ellis, we are a boutique law firm that provides our clients with one-on-one attention from the inception of their case through its conclusion. We fight hard to help our clients hold negligent truck drivers, trucking companies, and their insurance carriers accountable.
If you have been seriously injured in an accident involving a truck, contact our office today to learn how we can help.
Why You Need a Durham Truck Accident Attorney
Following a truck accident, injured victims face physical and emotional challenges as well as legal obstacles.
Trucking companies, in tandem with their insurance providers, have a long history of undervaluing claims or outright denying them.
If you have been in an accident with a truck, here are some of the ways a North Carolina truck accident attorney can help.
- In-depth investigation: Establishing liability in truck accidents can be complex. Our team delves into the nuances, analyzing driver logs, vehicle maintenance records, and other pertinent details to build a solid case.
- Navigating special legal regulations: With knowledge about federal trucking regulations and local North Carolina laws, a seasoned lawyer can guide victims through intricate legal issues. We will also file a lawsuit well within the statute of limitations to ensure you don’t lose your right to recover compensation for your damages.
- Negotiating with insurers and employers: Insurance companies are notorious for using multiple strategies to reduce your compensation as much as possible. A North Carolina trucking accident lawyer levels the playing field because we know their tactics, and we know how to get you the compensation your case deserves.
- Holding at-fault parties accountable through the legal system: If the at-fault parties refuse to resolve your case for fair value, an experienced truck accident lawyer will pursue your damages through the legal system.
An experienced truck accident attorney can protect your rights and help streamline the claims process so you can concentrate on your recovery. If you have been seriously injured in a trucking accident in North Carolina, contact us today.
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in Durham
Multiple factors contribute to truck accidents, and recognizing them can help in establishing liability. Some common reasons include the following:
- Overloading or improper loading of trucks
- Distracted driving, such as texting, looking at the GPS, or eating
- Driver fatigue due to long hours on the road
- Speeding, failing to stop at a red light, or other traffic violations
- Driving while intoxicated or while impaired
- Inadequate driver training or reckless driving
- Mechanical failures stemming from vehicle defects or poor truck maintenance
This list is not exhaustive. If your accident resulted from another cause, it doesn’t mean you don’t have a viable claim. Contact a truck accident lawyer in Durham to learn more about your legal rights.
Common Injuries in North Carolina Truck Accidents
Accidents involving a commercial truck and a passenger vehicle can result in serious, often life-altering injuries. Victims might suffer from traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, orthopedic injuries, or severe lacerations, to name a few.
Determining the value of your claim depends in part on the nature and extent of your injuries. This process can be overwhelming, which can impede your recovery. Rather than stress about dealing with insurance companies, medical bills, and legal processes, let us handle it all for you.
Potential Compensation in a Truck Accident Claim
If you’ve suffered injuries due to a truck accident in Durham, you have the right to seek compensation for various damages, including, but not limited to:
- Past and future medical bills—this includes hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, and any future medical needs.
- Lost wages — if the accident rendered you unable to work (either temporarily or permanently).
- Pain and suffering — for the physical and emotional trauma you’ve endured.
- Property damage — to cover the repair or replacement of your vehicle and/or property.
North Carolina has stringent liability laws which may prevent you from recovering compensation for your injuries even if you are only slightly to blame. That’s why you should consider hiring an attorney. You need a strong legal advocate who can stand up to these big trucking and insurance companies in the event they allege you were partially responsible for your own injuries in their attempt to extinguish their own liability.
Choosing the Right Durham Truck Accident Lawyer
Your choice of representation can significantly influence the outcome of your case. Here are a few of the ways we stand out from other firms in the area.
- We have years of experience. With over 9 years of experience serving Durham and the broader eastern North Carolina region, we understand local and federal trucking laws and have a proven track record of success.
- We believe in a client-centric approach. We prioritize our clients, ensuring regular communication by keeping you informed at every stage. At Ellis Law, you will work one on one with your lawyer from start to finish. You will not be handed off to a case manager or legal assistant.
- Your lawyer will fight tirelessly on your behalf. We will always do what is best for your case to help you receive the maximum compensation. That means if we need to take your case to trial, we will be ready.
- No win, no fee. We operate on a contingency fee basis. You owe us nothing if we don’t recover compensation on your behalf.
Truck accidents are devastating, and the aftermath can be overwhelming. But the Law Offices of Naomi Ellis, PLLC can help you hold those responsible for the accident accountable. Our firm is small by design, and we pride ourselves on providing individualized attention to each client who walks through the door. We promise that here you are not just another number. To learn more about how we can assist you, contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation.